Ascending and descending trading day on stimulus hopes
Major U.S. indices end the session with modest declines – but close to lows – in what has been a bullish and bearish session spurred by coronavirus stimulus talks out of Washington.
The final figures show:
- S&P index -7.64 points or -0.22% to 3435.48
- NASDAQ Index -31.799 points or -0.28% to 11,484.69
- Dow industrial average -98.1 points or -0.35% to 28,210.69
The main indexes abandoned earlier gains.
- S&P index rose 21.74 points to high
- NASDAQ index is up 97.3 points to high
- Dow’s industrial average rose 141 points to high
Tesla to report third quarter results after the bell (around 4:20 p.m. ET)
- earnings per share expected at $ 0.57
- expected revenue of $ 8.36 billion
Chipotle, CSX, Whirlpool and Sands also report after the close.
European indices are also now closing lower in all areas and near their session lows. The British FTSE 100 and the Italian MIB were the weakest of the majors.